Monday, June 23, 2014

Almost made it through without a flood of tears

Just when you think you are going to be able to complete the mission without a flood of tears taking over, you arrive at clinic to this amazing young girl. I remembered her from 2013, when we treated her for post-polio syndrome. Carried in by her mother, muscles rigid and face wincing in pain, we began our evaluation. Last year we made a recommendation for her to get a brace to fit her back, which would assist in her walking by herself and help with the rigidity. During our manipulation, our patient cried in uncomfortable pain, sending waves of emotion through my body. Still holding it together, Bac Si Ha injected her and promptly asked me to straighten and stretch her limbs. Feeling how rigid her arms and legs were, I was hesitant. However, after gentle stretching, I sensed her trying so hard to follow along with my motions. Her face was determined to completely stretch her limbs. When she finally did, and the movement was easier for her, the slightest smile came to her face. My heart absolutely broke. At that point I had to excuse myself from the clinic for a few minutes of quiet crying. I cried because there was little I could do and felt helpless, even though the look on her face became one of gratefulness.
My hope is that her mom complies with our recommendation this year. We will prepare next year to purchase certain types of braces for the different aliments that could have been helped.


No comments:

Post a Comment