Sunday, June 1, 2014

Tough Case, Positive Outcome

Patients in Ben Tre have very complicated Orthopedic illnesses, including the patient who presented with the following case:
As you will see from the photos to follow, this gentleman presented with severe Cervical (C2-C7) fusion. It has been many, many years since he was able to fully straighten his neck. Although living daily with severe pain, he had a joking personality and had a smile on his face throughout our whole encounter, even while enduring a seemingly painful treatment. His X-Ray showed the severe cervical fusion. Bac Si Ha planned on injecting his cervical region with Lidocaine, and physically manipulating his neck to loosen the fusion. After more than enough injections of Lidocaine, Bac Si Ha and I started our treatment plan. For approximately 15 minutes  there was tiresome twisting, cracking, and bending. The outcome was miraculous. He was able to hold his neck straight, although the muscles have atrophied to a large degree, and he will have to perform exercises daily. We were able to fit him with a neck collar to assist with the straightening and we plan on treating this patient 2-3 more times before departing this clinic location. 
All the while assisting with this treatment plan, My own muscles aching, sweat pouring down my entire body, I thought about the degree of human suffering around the globe. I thought about this man, who lives daily in severe pain, and I thought about his attitude. His was a picture of positivity. He was overjoyed with our dedicated hard work trying to make his life just a little better. 
We all know someone who suffers daily, either physically or otherwise, and I need to remember to keep my patience, my compassion, and my caring throughout each day. It is easy to fall into daily habits of selfish living. 
After the treatment plan ended, our newest success case walked directly over and open his arms and gave me the strongest, most unexpected hug anyone could give. We did our part, one cervical fusion at a time, and the love and thanks makes all my muscles feel refreshed!







No comments:

Post a Comment